Our News
Social Security Disability

Free Evaluation
3 minutes read


Published by Brenda Ramirez


Once you understand the HUD public housing support program and what it consists of, some questions may arise that will be followed up on:

Who qualifies?

Public housing is only for low-income families and individuals. A local housing agency determines if you qualify based on:

  1. Your annual gross income
  2. If you qualify as elderly, disabled or family
  3. Your citizenship or eligible immigration status.

If you qualify, the housing agency will check your references to make sure you and your family are good tenants. Housing agencies will not admit any applicant whose habits and practices may have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project environment.

Housing agencies use an income limit developed by HUD, which sets the low income limit at 80% and the very low income limit at 50% of the metropolitan area median income for the county in which you choose to live.

HUD develops limits based on medical family income estimates and fair market area definitions for each area. Metro sections vary from area to area, therefore, you may qualify for one public agency and not another.

How does the application process work?

The request must be submitted in writing. To be completed by the applicant or the housing agency representative. The housing agency usually needs to gather the following information to determine if you qualify:

  1. The names of all persons who would live in the unit, their gender, date of birth, and their relationship to the head of household
  2. Your current address and phone number
  3. Family characteristics (eg, veteran) or circumstances (eg, living in substandard housing) that might qualify the family based on tenant selection preferences
  4. The names and addresses of your current and former tenants to gather information about your family’s suitability as tenants
  5. An estimate of your anticipated family income for the next 12 months and the source of that income;
  6. Names and addresses of employers, banks, or other information the HA may need to verify your income and deductions, and to verify family composition
  7. The PHA may also visit you at your home to interview you and your family members to see how you are doing with maintaining your current home.

After obtaining this information, the HA representative should describe the public housing program and its requirements, and answer any questions you may have.

Will it be necessary to present any documentation?

Yes, the HA representative will request all necessary documentation (eg, birth certificates, tax returns) to verify the information provided on your application. The PHA will also use direct verification from your employer, etc.

You will be asked to sign a form to authorize the release of the pertinent information to the PHA.

When will it be notified?

The HA must notify you in writing if it has determined that you qualify, your name will be placed on a waiting list, unless the HA is able to provide immediate assistance. If you are found to be ineligible, the HA must tell you why, and you may request an informal hearing if you wish.



Client Testimonials


This case was my first time hiring a lawyer but I am glad that the attorney I chose worked diligently with me to help me get the results I was looking for. I am confident in letting the law offices of Gerard Lynch handle my business when needed, and I will be contacting this office when or is there is another matter that I need handled. I, Alexander Foster, am very satisfied with the outcome of my case. The Law Office of Gerard Lynch and I worked together and we achieved the goal that we were striving for. I am so thankful.

Alexander Foster,

The best and foremost compliment I can give this firm is the fact that I didn't have to come in to the office and overall my case was handled very expeditiously. Thanks for a job well done on my behalf.

Kathy Brown,

We need more lawyers like Mr. Lynch with an understanding heart and mind. May God bless you and your staff. I enjoyed working with Mr. Lynch and thank you so very much.

M. Robertson,

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be disabled permanently to receive Social Security Disability (SSD)?

No you do not. A claimant needs to be disabled for at least 12 months or have a medical condition that is terminal or expected to lead to death. Sometimes a claimant is not disabled permanently but has a certain time frame in which they are disabled from working. For example, a claimant may get into a car accident, need to have multiple surgeries and is out of work for at least one year. That claimant can receive benefits for the period before he or she returned back to work.

It is possible but rare. In a SSD case, medical records are your evidence and that is the proof you have to show the SSA and an social security judge that you do have a severe medical condition that keeps you from working. If you do not have recent medical records, it is much harder to win a case. There is a possibility, though not common, that your case might be approved simply by going to a consultative exam that SSA sends you to, where a doctor gives you a physical or mental examination.

One benefit of working with our office is that we will look carefully at your case and if you do not have enough or current medical records, we can often give you information about low-income or indigent health services where you can go and get medical treatment for free or greatly reduced cost.

Our law firm, the Law Office of Gerard Lynch, only charges our clients if we win their SSD or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. We charge on a contingency basis, 25% of the backpay, a cap of up to $6000, awarded to a claimant when we win the case. The fees are regulated by the Social Security Administration (SSA). If we do not win their case, we do not charge anything no matter how much work we have done. Once a client wins and their monthly checks begin, they will keep 100% of their checks.

Social Security Disability (SSD) comes from FICA taxes that are deducted from paychecks during the work history of a person. Every month that a person works and reports income to the government, taxes are deducted which are paid into social security. When FICA taxes are taken out of paychecks, most of it goes into the social security retirement fund. However, a smaller portion goes into the social security disability fund. People who become disabled over their lifetime and are not yet eligible to get their full age retirement benefits can get benefits from the disability fund. One difference between Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is that Social Security Disability (SSD) is like social security retirement – it does not matter how much money a person has or how many assets they have.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a different program for disabled people and it is like a form of welfare. Like food stamps, if you have too much money, assets or property, then you will be ineligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) even if you are clearly disabled. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is for people who are either too young to have paid enough into the system or have not worked recently enough to receive Social Security Disability (SSD). The benefits given to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claimants come from the general US government fund. To receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), a claimant has to be equally disabled to a person who receives Social Security Disability (SSD) – the standard for determining disability are the same. The only difference in deciding which claimant receives Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) comes from the amount of money paid into the social security system over one’s lifetime.